• May 18th, 2024
  • Saturday, 10:44:32 AM

How to Protect Yourself and Your Family as DACA Ends

On September 5, 2017, Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced the end of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA). Because DACA is an executive action and not a law, the Administration has broad authority to end or change the program. The Meyer Law Office, PC in Denver, CO, understands that community members may feel anxious, uncertain, or confused about how the end of DACA may affect them in the short term and long term. We have compiled this information, and pledge to keep our community informed of developments as we learn them.

I think I qualify for DACA, but I have not submitted my initial application. Can I still apply?

No. The Trump administration will no longer accept initial DACA applications after September 5, 2017.

I currently have DACA. What will happen to my DACA work permit?

DACA employment authorization documents (also known as work permits) will generally continue to be valid until their expiration dates. As such:

-You have the right to continue working lawfully until your work permit expires.

-You are under no obligation to inform your employer that DACA has ended. Your employer does not have the right to ask you whether you are a DACA recipient or how you got your work permit.

-Your employer does not have the right to fire you, put you on leave, or change your work status until after your work permit has expired. If your expiration date is nearing, your employer may ask you for an updated work permit but cannot take any action against you until after it is expired.

-For more information about your rights as an employee see this advisory:


I currently have my initial DACA application or my DACA renewal pending with USCIS. What will happen to my case?

If you submitted your initial application before September 5, 2017, it will be processed normally by USCIS. Renewal applications must be submitted by October 5, 2017 in order to be considered by USCIS.

I haven’t submitted my DACA renewal, but my DACA is going to expire soon. What should I do?

If your DACA expires before March 5, 2018, you can renew your DACA status. Renewal applications must be submitted by October 5, 2017 in order to be considered by USCIS. DACA recipients whose work permits expire on March 6, 2018 or later will not be able to renew.

What will happen to my Social Security Number (SSN)?

Your SSN is a valid SSN number for life, even once your work permit and DACA approval expires. If you have not yet applied for your valid SSN, find your nearest Social SecurityAdministration office at https://www.ssa.gov/denver/or by calling 1-800-772-1213 and apply immediately. You should continue to use the SSN you received through DACA even after your work permit expires. Your SSN contains a condition on it that requires a valid work permit to use it for employment purposes.

What will happen to my driver’s license or state ID?

Your Colorado driver’s license or state identification card will continue to be valid until it expires. If you have not applied for a Colorado driver’s license or state ID card with your valid DACA work permit, do so immediately. You do not need to schedule a special appointment,

and can go to any of the Colorado DMVs. For locations call (303) 205-5600.

Will Donald Trump target DACA recipients for deportation?

Trump has said multiple times that all undocumented people are targets for deportation. However, because each person with DACA status has a unique immigration history, we recommend that DACA recipients consult the Meyer Law Office, PC or another trusted immigration attorney to be screened for possible immigration options for which you may qualify, as well as defense options if you were to be detained and placed into removal proceedings. Whatever you do, stay away from notarios!

I just got a ticket, and/or I must go to court on a criminal issue. What should I do?

Now, even minor criminal arrests or convictions can lead to placement into deportation proceedings or complicate your future immigration options. Before you plead guilty to ANY criminal charge, no matter how minor it may seem, be sure to consult with a trusted criminal defense attorney who understands the potential immigration consequences of your case.

What else can I do?

Although you may not be able to prevent yourself or your loved one from being detained by ICE, there are proactive steps you can take to ensure that your attorney has the necessary information to defend you.

-Organize your important documents (personal records, criminal court documents, and immigration documents) and phone numbers and keep them in a secure, safe place.

-Plan for your family members to be taken care of and to take care of you.

-Put a KNOW YOUR RIGHTS card in English or Spanish in your wallet and always keep it with you so you know what to do in case of contact with law enforcement or ICE officers.

-If you are detained by ICE, remain silent and do not sign anything until you consult with the Meyer Law Office, PC to be screened for possible defenses to deportation.

-If you would like to organize a Know Your Rights workshop in your community group, school, church, or workplace, contact the Meyer Law Office, PC, 1029 Santa Fe Dr, Denver CO 80204, 303-831-0817, www.themeyerlawoffice.com.

*Adapted from materials from the Immigrant Legal Resource Center.