• April 17th, 2024
  • Wednesday, 05:07:52 AM

New Fund Available to Injured Colorado Workers

Workers who have been injured on the job while working for uninsured employers can now apply for financial help through the Colorado Uninsured Employer (CUE) Fund.

On January 1, 2020, the Colorado Department of Labor and Employment’s (CDLE) Division of Workers’ Compensation (DOWC) began accepting applications to the Colorado Uninsured Employer (CUE) Fund which provides financial assistance for individuals hurt on the job while working for employers who do not carry workers’ compensation insurance.

The fund, administered by an independent board appointed by the Governor, pays medical bills for applicants who are accepted into the program. Previously, Coloradans injured while working for uninsured employers faced costly medical bills and had little ability to recover lost wages. This financial burden compounded an already challenging situation for affected injured workers.

Colorado employers are required to carry workers’ compensation insurance for their employees and the state will continue to fine employers who fail to obtain coverage. Money collected from these fines are added to the CUE Fund to assist injured workers.

“A healthy workforce is essential to our mission of working together to promote a thriving employment environment with opportunity for every Coloradan to prosper. The opening of this fund ensures that all workers have an opportunity to receive quality medical care after being hurt on the job,” said Joe Barela, Executive Director of the Colorado Department of Labor and Employment.

For more information and to apply visit: www.colorado.gov/pacific/cdle/dwc/colorado-uninsured-employer-fund


or call 303-318-8700.

Ensuring a safe work environment and preventing workplace injuries is essential to keep Colorado’s workforce healthy and its employers thriving. Companies interested in strengthening workplace safety, saving money on premiums, and understanding coverage requirements should visit our website at colorado.gov/cdle/dwc or call 303-318-8700.